April 6, 2012

Larry talks about ... Teddy & Joanie Peach

It was suggested that the topic for this post be one of my choosing. Immediately the old wheels began spinning and grinding: I could write about me–no way; I could write about my life’s journey–big deal; About the book? well sure; Maybe about my muse—Well, I am still trying to figure him out; wait a minute, I know, something about writing or maybe character development or maybe even writing habits and—So, after smacking myself upside my head I have decided to discuss two of the main characters in the book, Teddy Peach and his younger sister, Joanie.

Teddy is the protagonist. He is 18 years old and had graduated from high-school the previous June. He left his graduation with a college scholarship in his pocket and immediately went to work in the construction business as an apprentice carpenter. His family needed the money, he was the oldest of the five kids, and it was the “right thing to do”. He willingly took the detour to his unexpected future. However, down deep inside of himself, he had begun to harbor a bit of resentment that his life’s choices were not being decided by him. But, being responsible and taking care of family took precedence over one’s own needs.

When Elizabeth Peach died a few years earlier, Joanie, 13 at the time, had been thrust into the role of “pseudo-mommy”. Similar to her big brother, she had a deep sense of responsibility to her family. On Saturday mornings, when Joanie’s friends were sleeping in or doing sleep-overs, Joanie was pulling the grocery cart home from the A&P just like all the other moms in the neighborhood. She did not fit in but she too, like her brother, knew it was the “right thing to do” and willingly did her best to take care of her four brothers. The fact was the Peaches had been instilled with a deep sense of family love and, for Teddy and Joanie, that sense of family and looking out for each other took precedence over everything else, especially when the chips were down.

No comments:

Post a Comment