November 17, 2011

Love2EncourageYou review

Love2EncourageYou
November 17, 2011

ebook Review: Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes

by Rebecca Harmon


eBook Review: Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes

When I was growing up, I had a back brace that I had to wear all day long for corrective measures on my spine because I had Scoliosis. I also had a close friend of the family who had to wear braces on her legs for many long years before she was finally able to walk on her own. Due to these very memorable moments in my personal history, I really appreciated the message behind the book in today's eBook Review titled: Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes. The author, Larry Peterson, did an amazing job bringing fun, laughter, and a solid message of encouragement to children everywhere about a subject; that for many, can be rather painful and embarrassing if not put in the right perspective.



Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes is a delightful read! When sharing this book during storytime or circle time, your children, grandchildren and students in school will be eagerly listening for what happens next. This book is worth getting for that special child in your life that needs to be reminded that being a little different is completely ok. It can help them accept their current circumstances and battle those feelings of doubt by turning it into a positive and encouraging experience. Most of the time, our fears get the best of us and we find out we are accepted and loved by our peers for just being ourselves.

Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes has a neat section at the end of the story that offers suggested activites to apply this story in the classroom learning environment. It also gives some discussion questions to go over with your children. After having my four year old daughter snuggle up with me on my lap and read this story together, she had some very interesting comments. She thought it might be fun to have slippery feet that slide around all the time, but then get to wear special shoes that help you walk the right way. She was glad it was just a dream when all the kids and people were laughing at Willie. She shared that she wouldn't have laughed at the boy, but would be his friend and tell him, "Wow, what cool shoes!" This would help him feel better she said. My daughter loved the story so much and asked, "When can we read another book like that again?" She then ran over to her toybox and picked up her monkey puppet and had it clap its hands. Then the monkey puppet started cheering and said, "Wow, what a great story! I love it! Let's read another one."

Awe...I just love a good story! Many thanks to author, Larry Peterson, for helping us have a fun mommy and daughter time. We truly enjoyed reading your book. My daughter asks if you can write another story soon, but this time about a princess! :) Special thanks to the illustrator as well. The colorful cartoon pictures were the perfect addition to help my daughter grasp what was happening in the story. The artwork captured the silliness of the dream so well and made her giggle on several parts of the book. Be sure to visit the book website for Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes to learn more about this great children's book. It makes a cute gift for the holidays. I encourage you to pick up a copy for your child or classroom today.

The author and publisher are looking for readers to share their thoughts about accepting differences at:
http://slipperywillie.blogspot.com/2011/01/share-your-thoughts-about-accepting.html

Once again, my deepest thanks to Nicole at Tribute Books for bringing us another terrific family story that I had fun reading with my daughter and sharing with my readers here on the blog. Please visit Tribute Books website and check out some of the other wonderful books and authors that have teamed up with Tribute Books already. Become a fan of Tribute Books on Facebook. You can follow @Tributebooks on Twitter too!

No comments:

Post a Comment