November 7, 2011

365 Changes of Me review

365 Changes of Me
November 6, 2011

Slippery Willie's
by Erin

Have you ever read a book that you wished you had read as a child? “Slippery Willie’s Stupid, Ugly Shoes” is that book for me. I loved this book!

This book starts off with a dedication for those of us who are “different” and I love it, because I know this book is going to touch a child who feels like they don’t fit in anywhere in the world. Maybe they are in a wheelchair, or use crutches to walk, or have leg braces, or a scar, whatever it is Willie is going to be their buddy!!

You start out by being introduced to Willie Wiggins, who has super slippery feet. He slips and slides so much he can’t do normal things like ride a bike or climb a tree! He can’t even walk because he’s slipping and slidding around! You realize that Willie is different, and he hates it (who doesn’t when they are different) but what he hates even more is his new shoes which are supposed to help him not slip and slide!

Just like any child who has to wear something to school they are embarrassed about Willie doesn’t want to wear his new shoes to school, it has a pretty funny story I know most mom’s can relate too! I think we all feel like that sometimes, when we are dealing with children!

Of course, like all mom’s Willie’s gets his shoes on and sends him off to school! His day goes from bad to worse as everyone seems to only notice his shoes!

If you’ve ever been that “different” child you can relate to this! You can relate to thinking everyone is laughing at you!

I do not want to give away too much of the story because I’d like you to read it, but just know in the end Willie will be just fine!

I loved this story! I wish Willie had been around when I was a child! I know that reading this story is going to help a child overcome their disability or difference, it’s going to give them the confidence to go through life knowing they might not be like everyone else but everything is going to be okay!

This is a great story for parents with children who are disabled, it will open the door for their child to talk about their Willie experiences! It will also help children who know someone with a disability be more compassionate to their feelings! This is just an all around great book for children! I will be recommending it to everyone I know!

http://www.SlipperyWillie.com

No comments:

Post a Comment