May 30, 2012

You have questions? Larry has answers!

*Where are you from?
New York City (The Bronx)

*Coffee, tea or chocolate and why?
Coffee for sure---When I put the key in the ignition I want that old engine to start right up.

*What one animal do you think fits you the most and why?
Oh, I don't know. Probably a chimp---funny and unpredictable.

*What does reading mean to you?
It is very important to me yet I don't read nearly as much as I would like to.

*When and why did you begin writing?
I probably began in grade school because of assignments. I sort of liked doing it and began writing little things on my own.

*When did you first consider yourself a writer?
This might seem weird but I am just now beginning to consider myself a writer. I am a bit insecure in believing that I am actually any good at it.

*What inspired you to write your first book?
The seeds for my first book, ( a children's book) "Slippery Willie's Stupid Ugly Shoes", were planted by a foster child we had years ago. His name was Brian and he was three years old. He was totally hyperactive, off the walls with no self-controls whatsoever. He would get up from a chair and run smack dab into the wall. He would eat anything--grass, the bark from a tree, pebbles. One time my wife was cleaning him after he went to the bathroom and and she started pulling this thing from him and a rubber band snapped out. (You can't make this stuff up). Anyway, Brian would slip and fall, spin and fall etc---amazingly, he never got hurt. "Slippery Willie" is nothing like Brian except for the slipping and sliding..

*Do you have a specific writing style?
I am a blue-collar guy and I think my writing reflects that because it is not expansive or flowery but rather, short and to the point. (that's my take)

*What was your life like before becoming an author?
I worked in the building trades in NYC for 15 years, came down with MS, had to stop doing that, moved to Florida for the warmer weather (no ice to slip on) went to college, began writing newspaper commentary, got healthy enough to do some home-repair work. Nothing earth shattering, for sure. Now I am officially a senior citizen with grandkids and a bald spot enjoying my "permanent senior moment" as a writer.

*What sparked the idea for your series?
I'm not sure if it will be a series. I am working on the sequel so we'll see how that plays out over the next few months.

*Which comes first?
The chicken

*What was your favorite part of the book?
The ending and I am not going to give it away.

*How personal is your writing?
I'm not sure. I hate talking aout myself but being in this business I guess I have to. So, I am becoming more open about things. I have tried writing in the first person but all those I's drive me crazy. I don't know--maybe I am more personal than I think I am but I blow it off because I am using the characters instead of myself. Hey--you gave me something to think about. Thanks.

*What advice do you have for someone who would like to become a published writer?
Make sure your stuff is properly formatted (grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization etc.) Then-- keep at it.

*What is your favorite authors/books?
I always go back to Hemingway's , "Old Man & The Sea" for its simplicity and its ability to let you feel the love and caring that flows between the old man and the boy and, of course, between the old man and the great fish he must kill. I like C.S. Lewis also.

*If you could have dinner with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
"Honest Abe" Lincoln. To me the greatest of all presidents. Brilliant mind, patient man, loved his country and brought it to reunification yet maintained his humility and simplicity throughout his life.

*Tell us your latest news?
Well, of course the new book has just come out and I am working on the sequel. More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment