March 31, 2011

LovLivLife Reviews

LovLivLife Reviews
March 31, 2011

Lovin' Children's Books [Review]: Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes by Larry Peterson

by Chasity

Cleverly written with vibrant illustrations to match.

Interestingly, I'm going through a phase where I'm feeling a bit self-conscious about myself and so this story is right up my alley. Children stories are as simple as they come but can impact you just the same as... say a true account told by Victor Frankl (my favorite). Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes is just that: Simple, fun, cleverly exaggerated story with a clear message.
The illustrations are clear and rich with color and emotion. My 6 yo daughter was sadden by Willie's sad face and when asked at the end of the story: "If you were in school with Willie, and everyone was making fun of him, would you stick up for him or join the others?" She immediately said she would be his friend.

Parents will be pleased to see that at the end of Slippery Willie's Stupid, Ugly Shoes there is an Interaction Guide and Discussion Questions. Though many of us do this already and many times we ask and do as we read along. It is nice to have them there.

All in all, Fantastic Children's title and one I think parents and children alike can learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment