August 31, 2015

The World; Yesterday and Today--The Bible Covers It All

IT MAKES SENSE TO ME
By Larry Peterson
As a cradle Catholic who went to twelve years of Catholic school "waaaaay" back in the '50s and '60s, I can say without hesitation that my education in the Bible and about the Bible and of the Bible was almost non-existent. The Catechism with its nays & yays and right & wrong dominated the conversation. However, over the past ten years or so I have come to honor and respect the Bible. It took me all those decades to realize how profound and so magnificently in our faces with truths this book, written so long ago, is. The seven Wisdom books alone are worth more than all the jewels on Pharaoh's crown.
Back to the 'truths' I mentioned. The other day, August 26, the gospel reading was from Matthew 23: 27-32. I believe this gospel actually references today's world and the egotistical and self-centered mindset that so many people have embraced. Countless people have stomped on the goodness within God's creation by choosing to grasp onto  the secular banner of "meism." The Bible has their number--literally. It had it then and it has it now.
For me, as a writer, the Bible also has the best writing prompts...especially if you are having trouble getting the words to flow from your brain to the screen or paper. The Gospel reading from August 26 is a prime example of how my brain can get 'jump-started'. This jolt came from  Matthew 23: 27-32. (I'm just using 27 -28.) Here it is:
"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites. You are like whitewashed tombs, which appear beautiful on the outside but inside are full of dead men's bones and every kind of filth. Even so, on the outside you appear righteous, but inside you are filled with hypocrisy and evildoing."
There are actually seven "Woe to you" paragraphs in Chapter 23. I quoted number six  because it was part of the Gospel reading for the day. Anyway, the first thing that came to mind was Planned Parenthood. Think about it: "beautiful on the outside but inside are full of dead men's bones and every kind of filth. Even so, on the outside you appear righteous, but inside you are filled with hypocrisy and evildoing." I immediately thought of the people destroying the lives of babies and joking about it. I thought of all those defending  this organization and insist that those who would  vilify it are taking away women's health protections. There are many in high places that certainly appear beautiful on the outside and, since I do not get to look inside, I can only imagine. I do know this: abortion is the Holocaust of the last four decades.
In America, marriage between a man and a woman is being denigrated by the beautiful, sophisticated, upscale and highly civilized secular community. Same-sex "marriage" is hailed as a right and the enhancement of freedom. Rejecting one's God-given sex and deciding to change to the opposite sex is hailed as heroic and courageous. Legalizing euthanasia has taken root in Europe and in America. In Belgium they now permit childhood euthanasia. I could go on and on but you all know what has and is happening. And many of those who proclaim Catholicism as their faith  approve of these practices.
I am amazed that it has taken me so long to realize the magnificence and page-to-page wisdom the Bible holds. So much of Scripture defines the present. It describes us and our world. It tells us how and where are journey began, where it has taken us, and where we are going. It is a great gift and I shall never ignore it again. It is also the one and only book I will reference when seeking out writing prompts. The Bible has it all. If you have not tried you should check it out. It is a GREAT READ.
©2015 Larry Peterson-All RightsReserved


2 comments:

  1. Larry,

    I've had a similar experience. I had twelve years of private Catholic schooling and we never touched a Bible until my junior or senior year of high school. It was all Baltimore Catechism. All our religion classes were the memorized questions and answers. I still have memories of my father quizzing me on the answers and sending me back to my room to review if I didn't remember the answers correctly. I would say that I never really came to 'know, love, and serve' Jesus by this method. It has taken me to age 64 to 'discover' the Bible and God's eternal Word. I realize that with the time left to me on this earth that I will not be able to adequately understand all the wisdom in the Bible, but I do hope with the help of the many Catholic Bible study sites on the Web that I will be able to understand salvation history and come to love and serve my Savior. I have learned so much recently woth good Catholic oriented Bible Study on the Web and I am greatful to sll these wonderful people for sharing their knowledge of the Bible.

    I agree with you, from my Bible Study classes, that the Bible speaks to us in these times. I particularly think that the prophetic literature tells us that if we do not change our lives and the course that we are on that there will be a great 'correcting' in the future. I strongly encourage everyone to pick up that old, dusty Bible that's been sitting on the bookshelf or residing in the nightstand drawer to open it up and read it, really read it. And if you need help, go to the Web there are many great resources there to lead you towards a deeper understanding of the Bible.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurel---Sometimes I think their goal was primarily to raise good little "soldiers" who would not think for themselves. The Bible would have been easy for us to question. The Catechism was 'cut & dried'. Anyway, thanks for validating my thoughts. God bless and have a great ongoing bible experience.

    ReplyDelete