October 7, 2011

'Grippers" (how to get homeless without even trying #16)

Episode #16 "Thanksgiving" (click on the "Grippers" tab for previous 15 episodes)

Tracey was standing in her own living room feeling completely lost and helpless. She had managed their meager finances with painstaking care and just like that there was no money, no food and she could not follow through on making her agreed payment with the power company. Embraced by a sense of despair she instinctively hurried over to Judi Parano's.

Judi hugged her and said, "C'mon Trace, I'll make some coffee and we can sit down and talk."

Judi quickly became Tracey's navigator and began guiding her friend and neighbor on a straighter course. The first thing she did was reach into her purse and pull out $80.00 and hand it to Tracey. "Here, put this in your pocket and don't tell Bob you have it."

Tracey tried to say something and Judi said, "Don't worry about it. You don't have to say anything. Now, I want you to call the St. Vincent De Paul Society---"

"Oh no, Judi. I can't. They just helped us about two or three  months ago. I'd feel so embarrassed asking again. I don't think I can."

"You can. I'll stand right next to you for moral support.  Now, I have this pamphlet I want to give you. I know you have not said too much about Bob's pill problem but I know he has one and he will need help with that. But you need help dealing with it. This is a schedule of Nar-Anon meetings in the area."

"What's Nar-Anon?"

"It's like Al-Anon which is for families and friends of alcoholics. Nar-Anon is for families and friends of people hooked on drugs. Tracey---I've been there. My brother Anthony is a user. He was tearing the family apart."

"Anthony? The computer guy with the great job. I had no idea--"

"Tracey, he USED to have a great job. He was fired for missing so much work and he blames everyone else and, oh my God, we don't even know where he is. Haven't seen or heard from him in two months. I'm sick over it but I have learned that I cannot do a thing about it. We're here for him if he decides he wants REAL help. But, in the meantime-----Anyway, you need these meetings. Trust me, there are so many people out there with family members that have gotten caught up in this prescription pill insanity you wouldn't believe it. You need to remember that Bob Slider, your husband, is still the man he was. That person has been taken over by an evil entity that has transformed him. The real Bob will be back. He just needs you and Jake to be there when he begins his journey home. Understand?"

Ron and Jan from St. Vincent De Paul came out again. Once again they were able to assist with the power bill. They also included Tracey in their "Thanksgiving Giveaway Program" and, on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, Tracey went over to Sacred Heart Catholic Church and was given a holiday "basket" which included a frozen turkey and all the "fixins" including dessert for Thanksgiving day.

Thanksgiving turned out to be a good day in the Slider home. Bob had his "medication" and was acting normal. He and Jake were watching football together and joking around with each other. Tracey, temporarily upbeat and enjoying the moment, happily prepared the meal. On this Thanksgiving day they all had something to be thankful for.

Next time: Here Comes Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment